[Slowhand] Motor City Shakedown

Anthony Blak tonyblakwindsor at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 16 09:29:17 EDT 2004

Tuesday at the Palace in Michigan was again another wonderful meeting with
EC and his friends. This was the 30th anniversary of my live EC experience
having seen him on July 4th  1974 in Columbus, unfortunately I couldn't get
down to Columbus this time. But the playing in 2004 was very similar to
1974, even the lighting of the show was quite similar with the black
background. The one tune he played both nights "I Shot the Sheriff" was
indeed much better and other worldly in 04 than 74.

I really can not add too much more to the review that Mark had done, only to
say that the man at 59 is a wonder and I hope he stays forever young. The
man was in the zone, sweating up a storm, wiping his brow with a
handkerchief from his back pocket several times while presenting the music
of RJ, using a towel when he was standing up. For the last few songs he
removed his glasses as I'm sure he could not see though the haze and fog he
was creating. I feel very fortunate that I could witness one of the
greatness talents in the history of music, similar to have seen Paganini or
Chopin ply their trade. I'm certain he played notes that do not exist on the
Strat.

His band was also in find form; my daughter who is left-handed was
transfixed by Doyle, who I thought was an excellent reflection of EC's
playing. It was amazing to see him play with the strings upside down on a
left handed Strat.

Anyways it was a great evening and great sharing a beverage with Mark
(slowhander extraordinaire), and sorry I missed out meeting a couple other
slowhanders who showed up a little late to Hoops. Hopefully in 3 years he
will get the itch to twitch his pick in Detroit again, till later.

Keep on Growing

Tony