[Slowhand] Indianapolis Review

mark at inna.net mark at inna.net
Fri Jul 16 10:49:24 EDT 2004

Hello and Greetings from Indianapolis,

EC and friends put on a great show last night at the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The show wasn't a total sellout but the only tickets that seemd to go unsold were the really bad nosebleeds at the very top.

EC and band took the stage promptly at 8:30, EC dressed in his blue Fat Shirt and the white/red nikes for those who have to know. The band really kicked in from the beginning with a punchy "Let it Rain", having a day off before a show also seems to kick things up a notch for everyone.  We knew we were in for a great night when we hit EC's solo spot on "Hoochie Coochie" and he tore into it with vigor.  All the usual highlights, and the Robert Johnson set provided a great beer/bathroom break for the so-called "fans" who streamed to the exits during this part of the set.  Many of the folks near me were clearly annoyed during "Kindhearted Woman" when the band actually cranked things up a bit and made it more difficult for them to continue their important converstations - how rude of the band!  This crowd was SO different from that in Cleveland who seemed to really want to enjoy themselves.  But EC really did roar through "Got to Get Better" in an unusualy fiery attack even compar
 ed to many shows on this tour.

"Badge" really got things going, focused what attention the mostly inebriated crowd had, and after the "Wonderful Tonight" speedbump the band roared through "Layla" and "Cocaine" in fine form, again very hot performances by all.

For the encore, I think maybe I figured out part of EC's apparent amusement with Robert Randolph when he bounds on stage, 'cause every night he's in a different jersey.  So I think part of it is to surprise Eric - and last night he certainly did because instead of a sports jersey, he instead had on a "Superman" shirt, that's right kids, blue with a big red "S" and everything - it was great. The duelling solos at the end of SOYL were just over the top and as good or better than anyhing from the tour so far. Billy Preston seemed in good spirits (and health) and when his solo break came during "Got My Mojo Working" he did "When the Saints Come Marching in" which got grins from everyone in the band, and not to be outdone, EC then slipped in a bit of the "Killing Floor" riff for his solo.

An excellent performance, this band seems to be gathering speed as the tour draws toward its inevitable end - those final shows will certainly be over the top. Unfortunately it was lost on many of the concertgoers many of whom seemed far more interested in drinking, yelling, and talking far more than in actually listening to anything happening on stage.  Nothing's changed since the last time I was here and the acoustics at the venue were awful even for an arena show, with a muddy mix and a huge echo-slap from the back wall that is worse than any indoor arena I've experienced. If you're making concert plans in the future, this may be a venue better avoided.

It was great fun to meet up with some Slowhanders at the Slippery Noodle before and after the show, what a great place!  They had a blues band playing later and the band did cover "Mojo Working", needless to say it was a tad flat after just having seen the fireworks display at the Fieldhouse.

Now off to Chicago - see y'all there!

Cheers,
Mark