[Slowhand] Coloured pieces of stained glass....

Garret74 at aol.com Garret74 at aol.com
Sat Jul 17 16:27:07 EDT 2004

>>>Eric Clapton's unique talent is not his singing (although he sings well),
and it's not his songwriting. Whether he likes it or not, his unique talent
is playing the guitar. It's the guitar that has gotten him where he is
today. Had he begun as simply a lead singer and songwriter -- and not as a
guitarist -- Clapton would today be soldering together colored pieces of
stained glass.<<<

Don't you think this is a little bit of a silly thing to say, Sir Nick of the
Delta? Who knows who will end up where for whatever reason. We tread the road
which leads us to our destination.
Sure, Eric made it as a guitar player. Everything else developed later. But
you can swing a dead cat around this world and hit a great guitar player every
six seconds...yet few of them can sing and even fewer of them can write and
arrange.
Why take issue with someone because they choose to pursue other gifts that
they have been given instead of remaining what you want them to remain- for
whatever reason you may have?

I mean, Eric still plays a pretty mean guitar, you know? A little more
refined and less passionate now, perhaps, but still pretty decent.

Don't you think Eric is a better singer and song writer than 90% of the other
people out there in the business?
Is Bob Dylan a great singer or guitar player? (just an aside...let's everyone
argue about that for a while...I had a friend tell me once that no one would
like Dylan if it wasn't  KOOL to like Dylan...)

Whatever...

Cheers...

Garret