[Slowhand] DeltaNick/EC and opinions

blues4jr at aol.com blues4jr at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 13:22:28 EDT 2004

Many (if not all) of us prefer, and I use the word prefer, certain "eras" of EC's career. I, and would bet that almost all of us, have those certain songs, or eras, that we do not particularly prefer. I think it is safe for me to say that Nick prefers the very early EC - say pre-1968. I personally prefer the Derek & the Dominos years. But I also loved the 1990-1992 years and the 1994 blues tour. I did not like the Pilgrim and Reptile tours, although several very good songs did come from those releases. For those of us that were around and listened to EC in the late 60's and 70's need to remember that EC's singing was much to be desired. EC himself has admitted that he has worked very hard getting his singing voice to an acceptable level. From Blind Faith and before, he was a guitar player not a singer. During the Dominos he began to be both a singer and guitar player. The 70's were pretty much lost in a fog. Then, from the 80's on, I believe EC has concentrated more on his singing ability than letting his guitar sing for him. I truly believe he still has the same capability to totally blow the roof off the place, because we see flashes of it. I think today he shows himself as a well-rounded musician, while 35 years ago, he was a guitar player. I look at EC when he plays with people like B.B. King and Buddy Guy, he is looser - he is just the guitar player...he is not the front man...I think he is still more comfortable rising from the side, dazzling us with his God-given talent - playing the guitar like no other.

John Roe