[Slowhand] Chicago United Center Observations

Cathy Malec ssteacher73 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 12:34:10 EDT 2004

Took my 21-yr.-old daughter to her second EC concert. We both enjoyed it, but think that the "sound quality" could have been better. I enjoyed the Robert Johnson songs--my daughter said she thought half of the people around us looked bored. Doyle Bramhall Jr. was good, but I went to see and hear EC. My daughter even asked if Clapton was "too old" to play the parts that Bramhall played--or, if he had arthritis. I explained to her how Clapton likes to "share the spotlight."  We both enjoy how he changes the intros to his songs--and how he changes the presentation of the songs as well. However, her observation of the crowd near us was that many people didn't seem to appreciate his creativity. I don't mean to ramble on, but my daughter is into "alternative" music, and "looks" that way too. Yet, she bought a tour poster. Driving back home to Indiana, we were listening to a classic rock radio station playing EC music, etc. They then played a Jimi Hendrix song--she changed the channel. I
 asked her why--she said she didn't like "old" music. I asked her why she liked Clapton, her response: "that his music had 'quality' to it." This is from my alternative-looking child who played the viola in school, and was told by her bass (guitar) instructor that she had such a good ear for learning music quickly that "any bar band in Northwest IN. would hire her". . . .