[Slowhand] Help identifying a show

Lucky and Alice Crumpler crumplers at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 22 21:43:06 EDT 2004

I have a copy of this disc, which has been passed off as a jam session of
the Santana band and EC while Eric was on the West Coast during the D&D
tour.  I believe it is not authentic for the following reasons:

The artwork for the disc says the session took place while EC was in
California to play a
gig in October 1970.  The Clapton Bootography lists these as the October D&D
dates:

01-Oct-1970 Townhall Swindon, Wiltshire (England)
 02-Oct-1970 College of Technology Nottingham, Nottinghamshire (England)
 03-Oct-1970 Lads Club Norwich, Norfolk (England)
 04-Oct-1970 Coatham Bowl Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland (England)
 05-Oct-1970 Town Hall Birmingham (England)
 07-Oct-1970 Winter Gardens Bournemouth, Dorset (England)
 08-Oct-1970 University Leeds, West Yorkshire (England)
 09-Oct-1970 Penthouse Scarborough, North Yorkshire (England)
 11-Oct-1970 Lyceum in The Strand, Lyceum Ballroom London (England)
 15-Oct-1970 Rider College Trenton, New Jersey (United States)
 16-Oct-1970 Electric Factory Theatre Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (United
States)
 17-Oct-1970 Electric Factory Theatre Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (United
States)
 21-Oct-1970 Liser Auditorium Washington D.C. (United States)
 23-Oct-1970 Fillmore East New York City, New York (United States)
 24-Oct-1970 Fillmore East New York City, New York (United States)
 29-Oct-1970 Kleinhans Music Hall Buffalo, New York (United States)
 30-Oct-1970 Albany State University Gymnasium Albany, New York (United
States)
 31-Oct-1970 Dome Virginia Beach, Virginia (United States)

It doesn't look like EC was anywhere near California during this time
period.  There is a break in
the schedule between October 17 and October 21, which is when the artwork
says the session was recorded, but I have found no confirmation anywhere
that Eric was on the West Coast during this time.  Roberty's book also does
not list any recording made in California in October of 1970.

Lastly, at least one of the "jams" on the disc is a Santana tune
from their 1971 album Santana III, which was recorded and released after
this session
was supposedly recorded.   Of course it is possible this was an 'early'
instrumental take, but once again I cannot find anything to corroborate
this.  Also, and this is purely subjective speculation, the Village Recorder
recording does not have a vintage 1970 sound or 'feel' to it.  Just my
opinion, but without further proof I will not be listing this as a Clapton
recording on my trade list.

As for Neal Schon, he joined the band late in 1970, some time after Abraxas
was released in September.

Bootleggers are bad about scamming us, and this appears to be yet another
example.