[Slowhand] San Jose #1 Review

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 21:12:43 EDT 2004

Posted on Sat, Jul. 31, 2004
Clapton preaches to the choir at HP Pavilion
By Mark Whittington

Mercury News

As always, Eric Clapton let his guitar do the preaching Friday night at the HP Pavilion at San Jose.

Clapton is no tent-show revivalist. He doesn't jump about or exhort the crowd. He seems almost reluctant to sing, even though his voice has gotten better with age.

But he effortlessly filled the crowd with grace each time he closed his eyes and played. His perfect tone and crystal clear notes -- whether precise bends or rapid bursts -- were the answer to its prayers.

Old testament: The 57-year-old dipped extensively into the blues canon during a two-hour, 18-song set. He sat and played four songs from the good book of Robert Johnson, all featured from Clapton's most recent album. And he exalted other prophets -- Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Freddy King and T-Bone Walker. The best: Johnson's ``Milk Cow Blues'' and Waters' ``Rollin' and Tumblin'.''

New testament: Clapton was preaching to the choir as he played hits from throughout his 40-year career. The crowd was on its feet for the first notes of ``Let It Rain'' through the encore of ``Sunshine of Your Love'' and ``Got My Mojo Workin' '' -- the old Muddy Waters' tune was the only song of the night that Clapton hasn't put down on record. Fan favorites: ``I Shot the Sheriff,'' ``Cocaine'' and ``Wonderful Tonight.''

Holy trinity: The showstoppers were ``Badge,'' with the tight band putting fresh counterpoint and harmonies to the Clapton-George Harrison psychedelic anthem; ``Layla,'' with Doyle Bramhall II taking the Duane Allman role in the classic guitar duel; and ``Have You Ever Loved a Woman,'' with Clapton making his guitar weep and moan during a 20-minute slow blues.

Friday's set list ``Let It Rain,'' ``Hoochie Coochie Man,'' ``Walk Out in the Rain,'' ``I Want a Little Girl,'' ``I Shot the Sheriff'' ``Me and the Devil Blues,'' ``They're Red Hot,'' ``Milk Cow Blues,'' ``Rollin' and Tumblin','' ``Kind Hearted Woman Blues,'' ``Got to Get Getter in a Little While,'' ``Have You Ever Loved a Woman,'' ``Badge,'' ``Wonderful Tonight,'' ``Layla'' and ``Cocaine.'' Pedal steel player Robert Randolph joined the band for the encore of ``Sunshine of Your Love'' and ``Got My Mojo Workin'.''

The sin: The boomer-aged crowd only filled about two-thirds of the arena on the first of two nights in San Jose. The tour ends Monday at the Hollywood Bowl.

Redemption If you're reading this Saturday, there is still time to catch tonight's show. (7:30 p.m.; HP Pavilion at San Jose, 525 W. Santa Clara St.; $55.50-$89.50; (408) 998-8497, (415) 421-8497)