[Slowhand] RE: Audio on Macs

Jerry Dunaway jdunaway65 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 23:44:11 EDT 2004

I have been using macs since around 1987... there are a number of ways to get your audio onto (and off of) discs. My personal favorite is Roxio (formerly Adaptec) Toast. It comes with a program called "Toast Audio Extractor." This converts CD Audio files to either AIFF or SDII files (Can't remember which, and I am stuck in PC land for another week or so, therefore I can't verify the details). Anyway, there might be some other programs which are either freeware or shareware (or at least maybe a limited trial version), and they can be found at these locations:

http://www.versiontracker.com/macos/   (for OS 7-9)
http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/  (for OS X)
http://zdnet.com.com/2001-2003-0.html?legacy=zddl
http://www.download.com/

The last two, you may have to do some searching/linking to get to the mac-specific pages, but once there, do searches for Audio, music, multimedia etc. There is one free program called SoundApp that is pretty cool for converting files from one format to the other. If you have MP3s and the like, and would like to save them to a regular audio disc (yes, I know that iTunes can do most of that as well... haven't tried the newest one yet to see if it can do the DAO stuff and the like), you can convert from or to MP3, WAV, AIFF, SDII, and a few others I have never heard of. NOTE: If you ARE converting anything FROM MP3 to regular audio and plan to trade it, BE SURE TO LET THE RECIPIENTS KNOW THAT IT IS FROM AN MP3 SOURCE!!! A lot of folks won't take those... I think it has something to do with the fact that there are varying levels of compression, therefore varying levels of quality. I myself have heard SOME mp3 conversions that while not pristine, were quite listenable... then again I
 have heard the ones that sound like they are in a can underwater.

Anyway, hope this helps, and if you find some of this software and need a little direction with it, e-mail me privately at jdunaway65 at yahoo.com