[Slowhand] Re: Growth

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 13:56:57 EDT 2004

Although nostalgia is often a reason why some people get "stuck" in a
certain period, it is not the ONLY reason why one may enjoy a particular
period of an artist's career more than other periods.

Agreed.  However there is an interesting correlation between age and one's interests.  For example you won't find too many current 15 year olds listening to a lot of swing jazz.  My primary interest in this is that if there is a predisposition for one to form one's tastes at a certain age, being aware of this tendancy can be helpful and give impetus to overcome it.

On the other hand, what I think should concern us all much more than
nearly-meaningless concepts of "being stuck" and "growth" is this: I have
often wondered why some people have no facility for thinking: critical
analysis. It seems that some couldn't figure their way out of a paper bag if
their lives depended on it.

Also agreed.  That's the point behind this type of thing - being aware of ones own prejudices is the first step on the road to growth in a *positive* direction.  It works both ways with age ... expose someone older to a new band, and their first reaction may be "BAH HUMBUG! I don't like that new crap!!!", and likewise try to interest someone young in say a classic novel, and the reaction is a similar "PHOOEY!  I don't like all that old stuff, it's all boring".  In both cases, being aware is the first step - and that's a good thing!

Cheers,
The Almighty

(PS thsi psto haz note bein proofe red.)