[Slowhand] Shopping Anyone?

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 19:33:48 EDT 2004

Eric Clapton Helps Save Historic Menswear Shop From Closure02.08.04

Rock legend Eric Clapton is helping save a historic menswear shop from closure. The store called “Cordings,” located on London’s famous Piccadilly square since 1839 and featuring some traditional English tailoring, has been Clapton’s favorite for two years. The store’s financial problems and the threat of closure prompted its owner Noll Uloth to turn to his best client for help, the spokeswoman for Cordings told Ananova.com.

"He contacted Eric and within five minutes he had a reply saying 'I can't let this happen'".

The musician first got interested in the store when he was 16.

"I remember the boot in the glass tank full of water in the window display," he said. "I am a big fan of English traditional tailoring and have always been intrigued by the balance between functionality and style in the development of men's fashion.”

The singer bought a 50% stake in the store last December, and is currently helping revive the standstill business by launching the first women’s collection, which is scheduled to be introduced this month.