[Slowhand] Enough is enough

John Mills turbineltd at btconnect.com
Thu Aug 5 13:08:50 EDT 2004

I've just read the twaddle that born-again demi-deity, the person currently
known as the "God-Almighty Geekhurts" has just plastered on his apology for
a web-site.

His history lesson falls short of mentioning the onslaught of compression,
(post Dolby). Why is it that we are quite happy watching a DVD with a JPEG
still every second and intermediate frames merely differences, when we throw
up our arms at a good old MP3 audio?

Ironically, we are now all trading "Satellite" broadcasts and "Digital
Radio" transmissions that are blatantly compressed. A example is this year's
wonderful Belfast concert. I have two versions of this, both of which have
abrupt high-frequency roll-off above 15kHz.
One of these is in fact the Mid Valley "Black Beauty" production supplied by
a kind soul on this digest. Another kind soul is sending me the complete
show, which he tells me is also short of a full shilling. Why are we
accepting this gross reduction in fidelity?

Furthermore, the GAG totally avoids mentioning the real way of sharing music
without the lulus, via Bit Torrent; why aren't we making more use of this
avenue? I've shared over 2500 copies of "Bluesbreaking!" on STG over the
last three months and it's still going strong, in spite of STG's downtime
during the last fortnight.

So I put it to you Mr. Plastic/Weekend Hippy, if you love the music as much
as you say you do and you aren't just a groupie, (like the rest of us),  to
offer some evidence of your musical abilities in a band with renown
musicians. If it's visual, you could do worse than replace that screwed-up
toffee-paper "Oswald" graphic.

I'm pleased that the issue of geographical restriction has arisen, but
disappointed that a couple of genuine cases have given those cheap-skaters
an excuse for not paying an extra six-pence on the postage. It's funny how
they accept the deal to re-offer and subsequently change the rules, (in
their favour).

PS: this communication has been checked for virii, spelling, but NOT for
taste.

TIC ;~)