[Slowhand] Robert Randolph

Steve Proctor slowhand at salisbury.net
Fri Aug 6 09:32:32 EDT 2004

I'm still recovering from my latest junket to see Eric Clapton one last time.  Here are some observations:

1) The 2004 tour was the best I have ever seen.  And my Clapton shows now span August 2, 1974 to August 2, 2004!  Even though I never saw Cream or D & D, and at the risk of inciting a riot, his playing now is often better than it was then.  For example, compare recent versions of "Got To Get Better In A Little While" with the one on the D & D live album.  Yes, the current set is rather orchestrated as Don Green pointed out.  But to my ear, a lot of solos during the Cream era were rather meandering. (Disclaimer:  These rash statements exclude masterpieces like "Crossroads" and "Layla."  Note the word "often" above.)

2) Clapton cannot really be criticized for not varying his set list from year to year.  "Let It Rain," "Walk Out In The Rain," "Got To Get Better In A Little While" and "Got My Mojo working" are welcomed additions.  Personally, I am glad that over-represented songs like "Tearing Us Apart" and the modified version of "Going Down Slow" have finally been retired.  Hopefully, he will keep digging into his catalog.  "The Core" and "Forever Man" are staples of classic rock stations that have not been played live often enough.  Would love to see "Further On Up The Road" reappear!

3) Clapton can be criticized for not varying his set list from show to show.  I realize this would not affect the average fan who will see one show at the most.  Yet, even a casual fan may choose to see more than one San Jose or New York shows.  How hard would it be to mix it up a little?

And yet, each song is different each time it is performed.  "Kind Hearted Woman" was astounding in LA.  "Got To Get Better In A Little While" kept getting better, eventually surpassing "I Shot The Sheriff" as the highlight of the show.

4) I hope to compare the August 2, 1974 and August 2, 2004 shows for WE! magazine.  But here's the condensed version:  Eric Clapton is much better sober!

5) Robert Randolph Rules!!!!!  The article "Randolph Restores Clapton's Musical Faith" by Bret Gladstone as posted by ToeKneeF really says it all.  Robert reports that the next thing on his agenda is a tour with Lenny Kravitz.  And after the Friday show in San Jose, he joined Los Lobos onstage.  I wish him great success.  It speaks well of Eric Clapton that he pays tribute to legends like Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters and at the same time helps this nice kid from New Jersey become a legend in his own right.