[Slowhand] Re: What Ifs

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 23:22:10 EDT 2004

Green <g.reen at gte.net> wrote:v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
The more I see your posts the more I realize you are an idiot.

I feel any response I could give to this would be grossly inferior to the wisdom dispensed by one of the great philosophers of our age:

http://www.geetarz.org/pw.mp3

Infinity!

If you really do want an answer to what basically is a pointless question, here goes: What sets the Picassos, the Da Vincis, the Newtons, and yes, the Claptons of this world apart from the masses is the spark of creativity - and the willingness to fly in the face of conventional wisdom, to do things in a way no one has thought of before, to follow that inner compass. To boldly split infinitives in a way that would horrify those who attempted to teach them proper grammar.

Just as EC has taken many different paths that no one really would have forseen 40 years ago, Hendrix was at the time of his death already changing his style and redefining himself.  I don't know what direction he would have taken - but #1 it wouldn't be anything any of us could guess at and #2 I guarantee you that if he were alive - just as with EC - there would be legions of older fans from the different periods of his work who seemingly could not adjust to the fact that he wasn't "as good as he was in [insert date here]".  It's the curse of creative genius, the curse of those who lead instead of follow, that the average have to follow along at their own pace. At least EC and Hendrix were fortunate enough to be able to reap some of the praise they amply deserve in their lifetimes. The contributions of others at times are not fully recognized until years after they are gone ... at the point where everyone else finally catches up.

Cheers,

The Almighty