[Slowhand] EC and Vanity Fair June 2004

david.gourlay at hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca david.gourlay at hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 10 09:46:44 EDT 2004

Not sure off the top of my head - likely to do with his complete domination of the British media in the 70's and 80's. Although, I do vaguely recall a panning of EC's South Bank Show - remember this one ? I think it was 1986 and the South Bank Show is a current affairs program in the UK. EC did a lengthy interview right around the release of "August" and we will all likely remember the impromptu jam with EC and Jack Bruce (I think) and the shots of Ronnie Scott's.

Anyway, a critic who wrote for a newspaper "Today", that is no longer in circulation absolutely panned EC and the show saying that the ending, which featured the live '86 Birmingham show of "Holy Mother" was the only reason this was made - to promote it as the new single. So - given Murdoch owned and ran "Today", who knows - maybe that is a reason !!