[Slowhand] Legends DVD offer closed (Still looking for Tokyo)

Mark Deavult mark at inna.net
Thu Aug 19 20:42:51 EDT 2004

Mark Devault, do you realise your Geetarz Clapton page is unreachable?

Yes, I do.

And it is likely to remain that way - whether it is for a short while as I make some changes, or permanently, is up to the trading community.

At this point I feel that to a degree the site is facilitating many of the folks who are killing the trading scene.  I don't intend to toss out the baby with the bathwater, but at the same time this can't continue.

Here are a few random thoughts for you:

1) There are (at least) two seperate recordings of the Philly 2004 show.  I created and put up artwork for one recording.  The other recording has been posted on STG, and by amazing coincidence almost 1,000 copies of the artwork for the WRONG recording have now been downloaded - from those using STG.  So now, thanks to about 1,000 very stupid people, you can't judge which recording you have of the show from the cover art.  Thanks to all those involved for making what should be easy even more difficult. This is merely one example of several going on right now.  Aren't server logs great?

2) There are (at least) three different people seeding out EC shows on MP3 servers.  Of course they refer to my site to grab the artwork for the shows they distribute, as they convert them back into CD/WAV format.  I *so* wish I had the time to screw up and degrade the CD covers to match the mp3s.  Meanwhile these losers are trading these shows back out, and they'll be coming back to the rest of you as "CD copies" of the originals - with the artwork from my site.  I can't stop 'em, but I can at least slow 'em down if I deny them access.  Aren't server logs great?

3) I've checked a few EC trade sites/boards/groups in the past few days, and I can tell the group that at least a dozen of the culprits who have done nothing but send me CRAP discs in trades are in fact out there trading with reckless abandon like the world will end tomorrow - trading out the same flawed stuff. All this as if they haven't seen the subtle and amazingly not-so-subtle shots fired across their bow on the SD and the site.  Trust me, I haven't been venting here just because there's nothing good on TV - there are people here who are being given a message.  The time is coming soon when I will quite simply have to start naming names - look, folks, if you don't want the many thousands of people that hit Geetarz a month to see your name as a bad trader, this is your final warning - clean up your act.  It breaks my heart because I genuinely like most of these folks as people - but the gloves are coming off.  In the meantime, having the EC site down will (1) slow them down in their trades and (2) draw some much needed attention so when I get the emails saying "I am in a trade with so-and-so and I need this-and-such artwork" I can email 'em back and tell 'em what they are getting into.   Aren't server logs great?

I do appreciate the feedback, help, and concern I've received.  But I am 100% dead set on one thing - there are going to be changes in EC trading circles in the very near future, or I will pull the plug on the site altogether.  My reasons for doing so are elaborated as articulately as I can on the site intro - which many people were simply skipping altogether by simply bookmarking the EC page and going straight there (thought I wouldn't notice, didn't you?  Aren't server logs great?).  If I am unable to beg, borrow, or trade for quality recordings to post on the site there is absolutely no future for it and I will not allow it to simply stagnate - I'd rather give it a "mercy killing".

Cheers,
Mark