[Slowhand] CD-R Media

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 22:42:10 EDT 2004

>> Strange, I had so many problems with TDK a couple years ago. Every single
disc in the spindle was a dud. <<

I've never used TDK discs. But they seem to be recommended most often as the
best available in the major stores (Best Buy, CompUSA, etc).

My preference is to order discs from http://www.american-digital.com/. They
have a wider selection, discs are MUCH less expensive (they sell in bulk),
and I can get UNbranded media.

I usually go with Mitsui (aka MAM-A), Klone, or Kodak (Kodak no longer makes
CD-Rs, but there are stockpiles available here and there: if you run across
one, buy, buy, buy if the price is right). Both Silver and Gold varieties of
these 3 brands (the Silvers are really a mix of Gold & Silver), are
top-of-the line. I've heard good things about Taiyo Yuden as well, but have
never used them. I prefer to stay away from ANY CD-Rs that are not Gold or
Silver. No colors, please, on the recording side other than what I've
mentioned. I've always had excellent results (Yes, I know that TDKs are
colored [blue?]).

I believe these same "rules of thumb" do not apply for DVD media, but I
haven't gotten into this mode yet (soon). For advice on DVD media, I suggest
y'all consult with Almighty Bruce ... whatever his name is.

                DeltaNick