[Slowhand] Re: CD-R Media

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 10:22:31 EDT 2004

>> Two things: 1) As far as I know, all CD-Rs are either gold or silver. I'm
not aware of any other reflective layers being used. And I've never
seen/heard of discs
that were a mix of silver and gold. 2) ALL CD-Rs are "colored" on the
recording side - that's the dye that actually gets "recorded." <<

Luke,

Where on earth have you been? You contradict yourself. I really have NO idea
what you're talking about, since your remarks aren't simply untrue, they are
ridiculous.

1. There are greenies and blueies, and probably a few others. As I wrote,
TDKs have a blue coloration. I have received them in trades. I am holding
one in my hand as I type. I've seen the green ones as well, and have
received some of these too. You contradict yourself, when you write that
there are no colors besides gold and silver, then your included
www.cdrfaq.org article discusses blue and green discs. Duh!!!

2. I am holding, in my hand, a box that says "Kodak CD-R Ultima Silver +
Gold." It furthermore states, "Silver + Gold. Lasts Up to 6 Times Longer
Than Silver-Only Discs!" I don't know if these claims are true, but this is
what is written on the box. The "Silver + Gold" discs are light gold in
color, nearly silver. Gold discs are a deeper, unmistakably gold color.
There are also silver discs that are simply silver in color.

A few years ago, the silver and gold discs seemed to be harder to come by,
and the blueies and greenies seemed to dominate. Nowadays, I think many of
the greenies and blueies, except for TDK, have disappeared.

Of course, I've been discussing recording side only, and NOT the
non-recording side.

                DeltaNick