[Slowhand] Re: EAC

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 09:45:25 EDT 2004

OK, I know I have a generally available copy of EAC, not the sooper
sekrit one with all the really neat features and gizmos, and I have
always used it to burn! I have V0.9 prebeta 7......never upgraded, cause
I never had to....this one works well for me.....and right there, on the
menu line under tools, is a selection for COPY CD. Why extract and burn
when you can just copy and make an Exact Audio Copy. Extracting and
burning introduces changes due to the different way burning programs
operate. Before burning, you can test a disc for gaps and eliminate them
if detected.

I read Delta Nick's tale of woe regarding his upgrade experience with a
smile, because I recognized myself in that scenario. I have used and
continue to use Adaptec's Easy CD Creator 4 (V4.02e) with no problems.
It was  basic program for burning discs. I don't use the EZ CD feature
'cause its crap, but manually create a disc. When Roxio (same as
Adaptec) came out with Easy CD Creator 5 - Platinum, I dutifully bought
like a faithful consumer drone. It promised a slew of great new
features. And yes, it did have some great new features but, like
Microsoft's Software, it was definitely showing signs of feature bloat.
Unfortunately, there were problems with this software. Completely
undocumented was the fact that Roxio supported some record company
copy-protection schemes. There were entire CDs I could not copy. I would
have to extract to .wav then burn! NOT ACCEPTABLE! I had been able to
copy these same CDs using V4! I uninstalled Roxio from my computer and
reinstalled ECC 4. Sometimes, we hav to buck the trend and not
automatically upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I always
remember this experience when researching any upgrade decision......T
   They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
   and our people, and neither do we".......George W. Bush