[Slowhand] Re: EAC

Luke Pacholski LukPac at lukpac.org
Sat Aug 21 10:54:17 EDT 2004

DeltaNick, re:

>EAC is for extracting (copying). Mine looks like it can burn too, but I
>don't think anybody uses it for that, and I've never tried. I use Nero for
>burning.

I don't use anything *but* EAC for burning under Windows. Works great.

>The object with EAC is to extract the music digits: to make an
>EXACT Audio Copy. My understanding is that commercial software does not do
>that, and excludes or even changes certain data when extracting.

It's not that other software can't give you an exact copy. In fact,
in most cases you *will* get an exact copy using most software. The
difference is how EAC handles errors. It reads and re-reads the data
to make sure it really knows that it's getting. Most programs just
scan over stuff once. Usually that's fine, but once and a while it
isn't.

You can even check this yourself with EAC's "compare WAV's" feature -
do some rips with different pieces of software and see if they are
any different. Unless your software *really* sucks, or the CD is
*really* bad, they will most often be identical.

Luke
--
http://lukpac.org/