[Slowhand] Re: Air Guitar

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 13:04:28 EDT 2004

>> I learned to play air guitar through the R. "Bud" Philson on-line school
of air guitar.  Here's a link to my alma-mater.
http://www.mirrorimage.com/air/ <<

That's more of a rock-oriented style of air guitar (Led Zeppelin, EVH, etc).

I'm from the blues school, and have played air guitar, during the '60s, with
BB King and Mike Bloomfield at the Fillmore East. Wow, what a night to
remember! I had my favorite Les Paul with me too, although I really didn't
want to take it out of the house that cold, winter evening (abrupt changes
in temperature cause tuning problems). But, it all worked out well, as BB,
Mike, and I played the most fantastic solos. I'll never forget it.

Unfortunately, first time I went to see Clapton play with Cream, I took an
acoustic air guitar along, so I couldn't hear myself too well at all. You
know, those roaring Marshall stacks kind of shout you down ... know what I
mean? But the second time I saw Cream, I took ALL of my air guitars with
me -- 34 Les Pauls are HEAVY! But I had the right guitar for the right song,
even switched a few times DURING songs. I also brought 3 Marshall stacks
(one for backup, just in case). That was pretty good too, except one got
stuck in the subway door, and I almost lost it! But Clapton pretty much left
me in the dust, and so I just sat and listened, and played a little rhythm.
I did accompany Ginger a bit during "Toad," though. That was kinda fun, but
I don't think he appreciated it much, so I kinda let him go on by himself
too.

Nevertheless, although I didn't graduate from any air guitar school (they
didn't have them back then), I believe I'm OJT (On-The-Job-Trained), since
I've pleyed live with the best. I could probably grant diplomas ... legally.

                DeltaNick