[Slowhand] Re: Disraeli Gears reissue

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Wed Aug 25 12:34:43 EDT 2004

Jon, re:

> I'm a little surprised by this one really. If you already own "Those Were
> The Days", the 1997 4-disc set that covered Cream's entire recorded output,
> then this release is redundant. Perhaps the sound quality is enhanced yet
> again (although I thought 1997 technology wasn't too shabby), but there
> can't be any MORE unreleased tracks because we got them all last time. This
> would have to be for diehard completists only, so I just can't see the
> point.

A few notes:

- the demos on disc 1 are in stereo, taken from the 4-track masters (I
believe only 2 tracks were used on the tape). They were mono on TWTD.

- Blue Condition with EC on vocals is an alt mix from the DG sessions,
previously unreleased. Luckily it was sent back to England and wasn't lost
in the fire.

BTW, sound quality improvements really have a LOT less to do with newer
technology and a LOT more to do with sources and techniques. What type of
EQ is used can make a huge difference.

Luke