[Slowhand] Clapton Session Work

Steve B airmacks95 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 12:59:13 EDT 2004

One session not mentioned recently is the Crickets and their Buddies.  Overall, a very good album, with guests who complement (or don't take away from) the original music. (caveat: Vince Neil) Albert Lee's track is outstanding.

Clapton's contribution is solid on Someone, Someone. There's a fair bit of lead guitar, but, as we've come to expect on studio recordings, he doesn't let loose.  The vocals are excellent per usual.

I was lucky enough to attend the Crickets and their Buddies (w/EC) at the HOB early this month. The entire show was great (Albert Lee was the 'house' guitarist!), but, all bias aside, E really did steal the show with his three contributions.  I never realized the depth of his admiration for Buddy Holly.  We all think of the young Clapton as a staunch Blues purist, who shuned anything Pop. But, he defintely was a big fan of Buddy's, and gave a little speech during the show to that affect.  It was certainly evident in his playing. He sang Someone, Someone, Fools Paradise, and Think It Over.  What a really special night it was! -- I assume I'll never see E perform those songs again.  I wonder if anyone taped it!