[Slowhand] Re: Surround

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Mon Aug 30 12:20:18 EDT 2004

Art, re:

> Mark, you're absolutely right regarding the DTS
> versions of DVD-A discs that have been out for quite
> some years now.

FYI, these DTS releases are DTS *CD's*, NOT DVD-A's. Ie, they can be
played in a CD player (vs a DVD player), but you need a DTS decoder to
play them. Some DVD players have this built-in.

> I've had bad results
> from DTS versions of "461 Ocean Blvd", "There's One In
> Every Crowd" and Santana's "Abraxas" DVD-Audios that
> have been around from the beginning but the newer
> releases like the Moody Blues "Days Of Future Past"
> DTS version sounds great as I don't think this was
> ever a Quad release.

Again, these are DTS CD's, not DVD-A's.

Days Of Future Passed was released in Quad back in 1974. The DTS (CD)
version uses the Quad mix (I believe this was released in 1997). I believe
a 5.1 SACD is in the works, which will be a totally new mix.

Luke