[Slowhand] Hippie movement taught at school

liabar at tin.it liabar at tin.it
Sat Sep 18 17:15:02 EDT 2004

Hello dear community of slowhanders,
this message is partly non EC content but I'm sure you will find some time
to read this and give me a useful answer:

I'm willing to plant "the seeds of Love" in my English lessons after I realized
my students have never heard the word Hippie.
They use English as a foreign language and are  in their early  teens so
I have trouble to find good material suitable for them.
Does any one out there know about any good website on the hippie movement
that wouldn't hurt parents' feelings and be easy to read by youngsters??
I found a couple of web pages. Unfortunately there  LSD and drug abuse is
still described as being a stairway to a better knowledge and they eclipse
on the bad trips and harmful effects it causes.
I just wanted to illustrate  the fundaments and the real atmosphere of the
make-love-not-war principles of the young american generation in the 60s
and give my students a hint on the actual weight and influence this movement
had in stopping the war in vietnam for instance . How much did music count
for the social
changes that occurred? Was E Clapton  an exponent of this counterculture
or he simply behaved and dressed like the rest of the young musicians and
rockers just to be part of the music lot and play his guitar?
What was and is being a hippie in a couple of words?
Would anyone  of the slowhand's commuity define him/herself a hippie today?

I would really appreciate any written  personal souvenir or recolletion
of
those years (60-75)
What song do you think represents or reminds you better about the feelings
in circulation at that time?? What was the summer of love's  anthem?
I expect tons of interesting replies
Many thanks to you all
lia