[Slowhand] Great American Songbook III (spare me)

Jon Maclean macca461 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 01:36:08 EDT 2004

I have just learnt on www.whereseric.com that Clapton plays on "Blue Moon"
on Rod Stewart's forthcoming offering. To say this is disheartening news is
an understatement.
I had read some years back that Eric was displeased over Stewart's percieved
lack of assistance to the late Ronnie Lane, when Lane had been suffering MS
and some financial hardship as a result.
If that was a true story, then I am surprised that Eric would forgive
Stewart, even after all this time, as Eric was close to Lane. Perhaps it was
only idle gossip, but Stewart's non-involvement in the ARMS concerts in
1983/84 would support this theory.

In any case, Stewart's slow decline into straight MOR should not be
encouraged (in my view) and it disappoints me to see Clapton involved in
this at all. Of course, it's his choice in the end.
Stewart put out some great music with the Faces, and on a few early solo
records, but his current stuff is about as appealing as rap music to my
ears.

Others may choose to disagree.
Cheers,
Jon