[Slowhand] robert randolph review

Sam Mangano smangano at solartestinglabs.com
Mon Sep 27 12:28:53 EDT 2004

Stunning show in cleveland last friday in front of about 500 people (what a
shame). RR played for 2 hours, including the "Axel Foley" theme from Beverly
Hills Cop, and "Dont Worry be Happy" from Bobby McFerrin. Opened with "More
Love" and played about 4 other cuts off his album Unclassified.

"people get ready" was a nice slow diversion, and "shake your hips" brought
about 50 women up on stage (including my normally conservative wife - too
bad this was the only show in the past 10 years i didnt bring my camera
to!!) Interesting audience of all ages, color and backgrounds. a significant
hippie contigent was present, along with the associated joints and bols.
everyone was grooving along to the family band's great music.

near the end, they all switched instruments, and everyone had a great time.
RR signed my head on a stick from the stage, and i gave him one for himself
to keep. we went over to the side to see if we could get backstage to meet
him. he wasn't out yet, but the rest of the band was. the drummer saw us and
invited us past the security guard. there were only about 10 people waiting
to see RR. we spoke with both the drummer and rhythm guitarist. then RR came
out, still holding his head on a stick!!

he said he loved the cleveland crowd and would play here 3 nites a week if
he could. stated how much he owed to EC for having him on tour, and that EC
is nicer than anyone could ever imagine. he gushed about how cool the heads
on a stick were, and wanted to get more of him and the rest of the band's
pictures on a stick as well. i gave him my business card and he said he
would be in touch. great kid, great band, great nite - DON"T MISS HIM!!

out
sambo8