[Slowhand] Zucchero, flu and lazy slowhand

John Broholm jbroholm at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 27 21:49:23 EDT 2004

>>>NOTE: Eric was with flu and without reharsing. Still he did his bit so
well.
How dare we criticise his "auto-pilot " moments and him as being a lazy
guitar player after learning how determined and strong willed he is????
<<<

Well, we dare do so because sometimes he's lazy (by his own admission) and on auto-pilot. When he's not slacking, there's an astounding difference in his performances. Reward good behavior. Don't reward the other. I couldn't get to a show last summer but I have four shows on CD from weeds. The playing is impressive, particularly in spots. Moving. It wasn't on the Reptile tour. On the blues tour in '94, his commitment of emotional energy was magnificent. When I saw him drunk off his ass in Denver in '77 or '78, he was totally flat, and what's more, it seemed just swell with him. The Sandstone (KC area) show right after Stevie Ray's death was gripping, and he had the audience with him from the word go and he gave back. There's a difference and it's perfectly OK to point it out.

JB