[Slowhand] The Tom Dowd Story

mike petrilli ziggo820 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 17:51:04 EST 2004

Hello fellow Slowhanders,

About two years ago,I happened to be flipping through channels and I came across the Tom Doyd story.I can't remember the exact channel,but it was either Bravo,Trio,or VH1 Classic.It covered his whole autobiography from when he was a child until his death.

I had always thought he was just a rock and roll guy,but it turns out he was much more than that.

He started out at Columbia University,I believe, as a consultant and developer of the H-Bomb working closely with the Military.He then moved on with a partner to work for CBS and formed Atlantic,Atco and Columbia records.It was then that he became legendary for his engineering techniques.His work covered all the way from the end of the Big Band era to the initial sounds of the early fifties Blues and the Rock and Roll explosion.

He then got a call from England from George Martin and ended up teaching him quite alot.His work with all the more contemporary artists of course are legendary and he also worked with Bill Graham extensively.

He pretty much worked all the way up until the day he died.He pretty much invented the way modern recording and engineering was and still is done.He was a true pioneer.When someone had a problem or needed his expertise,Tom Dowd was the man to call.He was a genious at splicing and overdubbing studio recordings on the fly.No one was faster or more inventive at it.Four track and eight track recording were basically his brainchild,all the way up to the multitracking we now know today.

I found this documentary to be facinating and I would Highly recommend this DVD,not just for his history with Clapton but for anyone who loves the history of music in general.

Over and out from the Home of the Blues and the Birthplace of Rock and Roll
Memphis,Tennessee