[Slowhand] Re: So-Called trading Edicate

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Mon Nov 15 08:42:22 EST 2004

Mike, re:

> What is all the hub-ub about gaps between songs.What are you going to
> miss.A bunch of people in the crowd yelling and screaming.

Given the choice, wouldn't you rather have things sound like they were at
the show, instead of [...screaming...][SILENCE][...screaming...]? And what
about when 2 songs segue together?

> These same
> people who complain are jumping all over each other to get a audience 2
> recording which I find unbearable to listen to.

Hmm, I don't have any interest in audience recordings, but I *do* care
about properly recorded CD-Rs.

> I use
> mini-disc's which are far superior to cd-r's which are prehistoric in
> technolgy.With a mini-disc you can edit gaps or micro seconds of of
> recordings.You can erase,change the order and add subtract songs as much
> as you want.You can also label them with 1000 caracters of information
> which will read out on your LED.They are totally encased,so they won't
> get scratched.I even have car stereo with the LED readout and a walkman
> which doesn't skip.

Considering CD-R technology is actually *newer* than MD, I'd hardly call
it "prehistoric". I'd agree that MD is great for what it is, but I'd note
that you actually get much *greater* control with CD-Rs and a computer
burner.

>  With X amount of dollars to spend,I bought a cheap CDR with doesn't
> have the record at once feature so audience recordings all run together
> if it doesn't have a gap.It will seperate songs if there is a three
> second gap.Besides can't you fix the gap situation on a computer.I only
> bought a CDR to be able to trade,and I wasn't going to spend alot.

Computer CD-R burners, which allow as much control as you want with the
proper (free) software, are under $50. So cost isn't an issue.

>  Maybe some of the people can't afford $600 state of the art CDR's.

Yeah, so? Who needs a $600 CD-R?

> Oh yeah mini discs sound better.

While I personally think Mini Discs sound fine, it goes against logic to
suggest that a compressed format can sound *better* than an uncompressed
original. Mini Discs are compressed. CD-Rs are not.

Luke