[Slowhand] ginger comment

Sam Mangano smangano at solartestinglabs.com
Wed Nov 17 09:41:57 EST 2004

john wrote:

"To say that Ginger couldn't keep the beat at the 1993 Hall Of Fame
ceremony is just wrong. In particular, his drumming on "Sunshine..."
from that night is fantastic.

As for the idea that the succeeding years have degraded his playing,
you obviously haven't heard the three jazz albums he made for Atlantic
Records in 1993, 1995 and 1998. Amazing drumming and musicianship. The
most recent Ginger I've heard is a radio broadcast of his jazz trio at
a European festival in 2001 - and he plays wonderfully."
hi john, good to hear from you again! my comment on ginger's playing should
have specifically referred to "Crossroads". that song was a mess that nite.
IMO, sunshine was fine, but nothing to write home about.

no, i havent been keeping up with Ginger's jazz output these past few years
(not my cup of tea), but i doubt he has to attack the drums any more in that
format like he used to do in cream. typical jazzy light fills and neat
cymbal work won't do him any good when trying to replicate the sounds of a
"stampeding herd of elephants" (thanks to mark deavult for that euphemism),
unless EC is planning on Cream Unplugged (ha ha).....

regards
sam