[Slowhand] Crossroads Guitar Festival

Kevin Wilson kevin.wilson at arivia.co.za
Mon Nov 29 09:58:45 EST 2004

Well, the European version is out (here in South Africa). I have a
German import. The tracks are exactly the same as the revised US
release, i.e. no EC and Jeff Beck, etc.

Notable differences from the bootleg that recently did the rounds are:
(i.) Six Strings Down and (ii.) Rock Me Baby have been
edited/cut/shortened and (iii.) Robert Randolph's pedal steel work on
Six Strings Down has been significantly mixed from the foreground, which
is a pity. Also, Eric vs. Carlos Santana is like Sunlight Liquid vs. the
no-name brand, with Eric's guitar being the no-name brand. It washes,
but quickly dissipates. I would have preferred more jams (it being a
Clapton event) and for the mere fact that there were better songs than,
e.g. Killing Floor, but I suppose it was Eric's way of giving all his
guests a taste of the limelight, like Hubert Sumlin in this instance.
The old blues guys also got a raw deal with commentary thoughout their
songs - was their contribution a substandard embarrassment?

As for Eric's own numbers I guess it's a preview of Cream on Pro-Tools
and if you don't like it, then sample what Eric could have still be like
today if he stuck to his laidback 70's style - a la his backing of J.J.
Cale - tasty, but neither here nor there.

Kevin

NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof, is subject to the standard arivia.kom email disclaimer which may be found at:  http://www.arivia.co.za/internet/disclaimer.htm.  If you cannot access the disclaimer through the URL attached, and you wish to receive a copy thereof, please send an eMail to disclaimer at arivia.co.za or call (011) 233-0800. You will receive the disclaimer by return email or fax.