[Slowhand] Re: eric playing other than the Martin

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sun Dec 26 22:24:43 EST 2004

While I have nothing against Martin guitars, I think EC has become too
comfortable in nearly everything he does musically. It was certainly nice to
see him really play guitar on the last tour, but I think a bigger
shake-up -- an earthquake, if you will -- is on order, musically, of course.

So, it'd be nice to see him play something other than the Martin, and
something other than the Fender Strat. Something needs to change: his
guitars, his band, maybe his amplifiers as well.

I'm tired of watching his clothes change: I don't care about his clothes, I
care about his music, although it seems to remain "comfortable" and
pathetically "the same." Isn't it a shame that he's SO interested in fashion
and style, but his music remains "same old, same old"? While it's decent
music, Clapton is capable of GREAT music ... or at least he used to be
capable of great music.

A couple of knock-'em-dead records would do the trick, and not the syrupy
treacle we've grown accustomed to: no "Wonderful Tonight," no "Promises,"
but something much more upbeat and passionate. I hope he does something not
only unexpected, but something unexpectedly worthwhile, from a musical
standpoint.

Let's hope that 2005 brings us pleasant and worthwhile change with the
WAY-too-comfortable Eric Clapton. I'd like to see him rock, and tear it up.
And so would many others (and not just a new haircut or new jewelry, or
shoes). I think he's got it in him, he just needs to get it out, and he
seems SO unwilling.

                DeltaNick