[Slowhand] Re: The Fillmore(s)

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Thu Jan 12 13:10:03 EST 2006

DeltaNick, re:

> Thanks. Although I visited San Francisco once (I lived for nearly a year in

> Monterey during the mid-'80s), the Fillmore West locations (plural) confuse

> many of us who never experienced them. In NY, we had the Fillmore East,

> which was ONE well-appointed theater on Second Avenue. I think it may have

> been an old, turn-of-the-century (19th-->20th) opera house.

> Not sure, but re-reading Richard Millard's e-mail, I get the impression that

> the Fillmore West was "located" at three different places.

What Wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fillmore

"After a few short years there, because of a deteriorating neighborhood,
in July 1968 Bill Graham moved from the original Fillmore at Fillmore
Street and Geary Blvd to the Carousel Ballroom at the corner of Market and
South Van Ness Avenue, which was called Fillmore West (in contrast with
Graham's Fillmore East auditorium in New York City).

After Bill Graham died in a helicopter crash in 1991, those close to him
decided to carry out his final wish and reopen the original Fillmore. The
Fillmore has once again become a San Francisco hotspot with shows almost
every night."

Two from what I can gather there.

Luke