[Slowhand] DVD verification software tools and the EC 3 DVD video collection

David P. Roberts daver at compute.com
Tue Mar 7 10:56:33 EST 2006

I'm looking for some software tools to analyse or verify DVDs and tell me
what's wrong...

I have received a copy of the 3 DVD set and they are messed up and won't
play. I'd like the tools to tell me what is wrong with them - and even how
to fix them. I'm refering to the format of the data on the discs. I've been
able to correct disc 1. It had "DVD1" as the only directory in the top /
root of the disc. This is not correct per the dvd format. Inside that
directory was VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. Reburning the disc with those in the
top level directory fixed the first disc and it now plays (great stuff on
there!). Discs 2 and 3 have the same directory hierarchy layout problem, but
applying the same fix does not fix them.

As I've reburned the discs with Nero, I'm assuming that the format of the
video streams is correct as I've had it complain when they are not...

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave