[Slowhand] Clapton in the seventies

Bryan Reid humblephoenix at comcast.net
Mon May 22 13:22:25 EDT 2006

EC has had his bad periods and his good ones, as well as a few truly great
ones.

In the 1970s he substituted alcoholism for drug addiction, and it did affect
his playing. There are some concert recordings from the 70s that are an
embarrassment. That said, there are many recordings from that period that
are definitely good to very good. And, there were some nights when he was
absolutely brilliant.

Clapton doesn't fit in a box, nor do any of the periods of his career. So,
to say that his playing in the 70s was bad is at best a gross, and
inaccurate, generalization.

David wrote:

"On these seventies recordings how do I know if it Clapton that is playing?"

It's pretty hard to miss. Good or bad, EC's playing is very distinctive. And
he's never had a sideman sub for him that I know of.

Bryan