[Slowhand] RIP, Billy Preston

Steve Proctor drpr at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 6 22:42:17 EDT 2006

I had the pleasure of meeting Billy Preston in June of 2001. He was sitting with Andy Fairweather-Lowe and a third person that I did not recognize. I simply told him that I was so glad he was back on the tour. He shook my hand, thanked me and gave me that huge trademark smile.

After that, I intended to walk away and let the three continue their conversation. But Andy sprang to his feet and leaned across a table to shake my hand and introduce himself. He then joked with me that the third person was "Eric." What a nice guy!

I first saw Billy Preston in August of 1975 with the Rolling Stones and I last saw him in August of 2004 with EC. Thanks, Billy!