[Slowhand] RE: Bad Boy & Vocals

Jon Maclean Jon.Maclean at lands.nsw.gov.au
Tue Jun 20 20:24:16 EDT 2006

Kevin, I'm really glad you made that last point. "Back Home" certainly
has its detractors on this list, but very little mention has been made
of Eric's vocals on the album. When I heard "Love Don't Love nobody", I
was blown away by how well he sings it. Same with "Don't Let Me Be
Lonely Tonight" on "Reptile". Blows the James Taylor original to the
weeds. Eric has progressed 300% as a singer since the 1970 solo album.
In my view "Back Home" is as close to a soul album as a white guy from
Ripley could possibly make, and I think he has done a great job in
realising that, even though it may not be everyone's preferred direction
for him.
I've just been away with work for 2 weeks and heard little music during
that time. In fact I've played very little Clapton in the past 6 months
because I was getting stale with him generally (my fault, not his). When
I got back I played "Reptile" and "Back Home" and thoroughly enjoyed
them both. There's a lot of subtlety in the instrumentation that you
don't necessarily pick up on with every listening. That's my take
anyway.

Cheers,
Jon

Message: 3