[Slowhand] John Mayalls 70th

bluesman13 bluesman13 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 10:09:39 EDT 2006

Clapton's guitar is indeed exceptionally low in the
mix throughout. On
the duet numbers it was practically inaudible. The
real shame is that
they used selections from the original Beano
recordings for the menus.

Hard to think that Clapton would spoil his own legacy
this way; given the attention/tributes/honour he's
recently paid to Cream and Derek & the Dominos.
<<<<<<

Not only is EC's guitar low, but his playing was IMO
boring. Not agressive, not biting, low and boring. I
was rally looking forward to watching this and I was
very disappointed in this concert as on paper, it
seems like a winner. The best player by far, is
Mayall's guitar player, Buddy Whittington. Clapton's
playing on this DVD reminds me a lot of his playing on
the SRV Tribute DVD.

In EC's defense though, can you imagine the pressure
on him to duplicate the feeling, tone, and
aggressiveness of the original? That, of course is not
possible, as EC is longer that person at that time in
his life.