[Slowhand] Lost Clapton Song?

EFSCHUL at aol.com EFSCHUL at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 22:54:54 EDT 2006

Clapton’s ex reveals lost love song
Maurice Chittenden - Sunday Times, UK

_See and hear the video _
(http://www.daphnebarak.builderspot.com/f/LoryShort.mpg)
WHEN Eric Clapton takes to the stage in front of 25,000 fans in the ancient
Roman arena of Verona tomorrow night, one ideally suited song will be missing
from the set list.
The legendary rock guitarist wrote Lady of Verona 20 years ago for his then
girlfriend, Lory Del Santo, a 26-year-old Italian television presenter who
comes from the city.
Del Santo will give the world its first hearing of the song this week after
discovering a broken cassette tape of it stuffed inside a waterlogged bag of
her possessions. It has now been restored and burnt onto a CD. Clapton
aficionados describe it as a lost masterpiece.
Clapton has never released it on record or performed it live. The song has
been locked away until now after the couple’s relationship broke up following
the death of their four-year-old son Conor, who died when he fell out of the
window of a 53rd-floor Manhattan apartment. Only a few Clapton insiders have
ever heard it.
Clapton had a huge international hit with Tears in Heaven, a song he
subsequently wrote in memory of Conor and which won a Grammy award in the United
States.
However, he has never agreed to the release of Lady of Verona, even though
it includes a coded message to Del Santo about Conor: “You know what she gave
to me, I’ll treasure until my dying day.”
The song was first hidden away because he wrote it when he was still married
to Patti Boyd, the ex-wife of George Harrison, the former Beatle. He had met
Del Santo in Milan on a previous Italian tour.
The song was consigned to the vaults when his relationship with Del Santo,
which was already strained because both had been seeing other people, fell
apart after Conor’s death.
Del Santo plays part of the recording that Clapton gave her during an
interview to be broadcast on American television tomorrow night. To watch and hear
the clip, click on the link above. Clapton sings:
I fell in love with a lady
from Verona, She’s just as sweet as she
can be.
All of her life she’s been
a loner Because she likes to stay
so free.
Later Clapton sings that he loves his lady from Verona “because she makes me
feel so good”. He recorded the song in a studio while laying down tracks for
an album that he subsequently called August in homage to the month in 1986
when Conor was born.
Del Santo believes that if their child had not died she and Clapton would
still be together.
In an interview with Daphne Barak, the American journalist, to be broadcast
on CBS’s Entertainment Tonight, she says that prior to Conor’s death,
Clapton would lapse into silent moods when he could not stand any noise or even
music. She discovered that he was drinking heavily after finding empty vodka
bottles.
She says that the one line in the song that best describes her is “ ‘
because I make him feel so good’ . . . It’s not easy to make him happy. Because
you have to learn. One day he told me, ‘Talk only when I ask you a question.
Otherwise, no’.”
Mother and son had lived in Clapton’s apartment at 57th Street and Fifth
Avenue in New York. The couple were estranged at the time. Conor fell to his
death in March 1991 after a cleaner had allegedly left a bedroom window open and
Conor went rushing into the room.
She would like to see Lady of Verona released. Clapton originally gave it to
her on a cassette tape while she was pregnant with Conor. “He said, ‘Here
you are. I wrote a song for you’.”
The tape became broken when she asked Conor to turn it off and he broke it
in the middle of the song.
Marc Roberty, author of Eric Clapton: The Complete Recording Sessions, said:
“It has never been released but it is very catchy and would have been a good
hit single.”
A spokesman for Clapton, now 61, said it was the first he had heard of the
song and he had no idea if it would ever be officially released. He said that
Clapton was unavailable for personal comment.