[Slowhand] Re: Civil debate + 1st record

Gerd Klaassen mail at klaweb.de
Tue Jul 11 15:35:54 EDT 2006

Jason Wrote:

>> I think it's important to point out that both of us are probably

>> highly influenced by what we heard first.

That's a good point. My first EC record was the Crossroads I box set,
I've heard it was a good compilation and the man was a guitar god.
This was in the eighties when all these high speed guitarists were on
the radio, van Halen, diMeola and similar (OK, the GIT times where
already almost over). But I first was disappointed. I didn't play guitar
that time, just a bit campfire 3-chord-strumming, but I expected
something more flashy. I played it twice, that was it. At that time I
was into "classical rock music" (wrong term, I know) like Renaissance,
Deep Purple before in Rock and similar. I listened to ELO (yes!), Mike
Oldfield (he can play guitar) and other stuff most digest members
wouldn't even try to listen.

Then I heard John Lee Hooker. Saw him in the Blues Brothers Movie first,
then I saw him playing with Santana "the Healer". That was it. Got the
record, discovered the Blues, discovered Eric again, started buying
his Blues CD's, started playing guitar and made a website about.

This happened during Bobfest, Unplugged and From the Cradle, and I still
love these performances. Cream, Bluesbreakers and the Dominoes became
also my favourites, later, but I also like his other side - even some of
his 80's songs like Bad Love or Just Like a Prisoner.

I don't like Reptile or Back Home, but I know some people do - music
is not played in a vacuum, it's a part of our life. And most of us like
the music they have listened to when they had a good time, especially
when they were younger.

Sometimes I still like to hear "Don't Bring Me down" - loud. Nowadays
I can play the riff myself.

/Gerd
http://www.12bar.de