[Slowhand] My two cents...

Garret74 at aol.com Garret74 at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 22:12:41 EDT 2006

While I agree with many of the points the Delta man makes, I disagree with
him on one...

I think Clapton still does as well planned and executed a solo as he ever
has, maybe even better. Maybe it doesn't have the intensity that it might have
had forty years ago, but they are still exquisitely structured and executed.
I find his playing much more mature and nuanced...
I think he still bends the tremelo at times...at least it sounds to my ears
that he does...

I was listening to the Blues album that was released a few years ago, and
it's no doubt that his playing was not as sharp during the mid 70's thru the
early 80's...it sounds like the whole band is pretty out of it on some
cuts...But his playing, as I think everyone agrees, has rebounded and is now on par
with his best years in the past.

I submit for argument on this point any of the bootlegs of his playing on I
shot the Sheriff...That is a clinic on building up a solo...yet it has a
mature grasp of what it is doing, and a master craftsman's technique...Clapton
knows how to get what he wants to get out of the guitar. His technique is much
more reliant on jazzier chords...9ths, 13ths, playing off Diminished and
Augmented modes...variations of chord colors...more multi-note attacks...(he
didn't use as many multi-notes riffs with Mayall as he does now...).

So, I agree with much of what has been said here. I certainly respect what
Clapton accomplished with Mayall. (I wore out several albums stealing those
precious licks!) But I don't think Clapton is in a 'down' period now. I think,
in concert, you will see how damn well he plays. I find a couple of good
solo's even on Back Home..but, as I have stated again and again, his emphasis is
on something else now.
He has avoided being the guitar hero, almost pushed it violently away, since
Layla.

Whether or not that is the direction he should have taken, I don't know. I
do like most of his work though...despite some problems with it sometimes. And
I would put Eric Clapton's 45 year catalog of music against anyone else out
there.

Garret

PS...And I'd take just about all of his Yardbirds works out of the equation.
While it was good, it in no way stood out from anyone else really at that
time.
Something happened to him in the time he left the Yardbirds to his recording
Beano. It sounds like a new man...who had re invented himself.