[Slowhand] Re: Bluesbreakers and the Slowhand Digest

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Wed Jul 12 23:14:31 EDT 2006

Re: [Slowhand] Re: Bluesbreakers and the Slowhand Digest>> Nick, with whom I've exchanged several pleasant (I think) offlist emails over the years, one as recent as this week, opens his reply with that "Huh?" Which, in case you don't know, Nick, is a pretty rude way of responding, automatically pointing the person who asked the original question on the defensive and making him feel stupid, Since you were the one who was ignorant in this case--and unlike the "What'd I Say" example, this is a real example of ignorance--it didn't make me feel stupid, Just somewhat angry. It's little shit like that, as much as your disdain for his use of the Strat, that starts all the little fires around here ... Billy Altman wrote what I recall as being outstanding notes to the London LC-50009 reissue of the Bluesbreakers album. I've not read them in twenty years so they could be twaddle, but given that Altman tends to be a good writer, I seriously doubt it. I was hoping someone knew of a place online they were located. No big deal. <<

Well, for "no big deal," it looks like you're quite agitated. The only version of the London LC-50009 release of "Beano" I own is the cassette, which I'm pretty sure includes no liner notes whatsoever (too small a package). So, I'm unfamiliar with Billy Altman's notes. I looked around on the Internet, but I couldn't find them. If you ever get them, I'd appreciate a copy. Furthermore, it looks as if Altman's notes were never included with later versions of "Beano," only Slaven's, and some updates by John Tracy, then updates by John Mayall.

>> I believe that the genesis of the "Day Tripper" guitar quote in "What'd I Say" was George Harrison. <<

> Meaning what? That he wrote the riff? <

Yes, assuming that as the Beatles lead guitarist, Harrison "developed" the riff, but I don't know for sure.

>> Right ... and what the hell does ignorance have to do with it? First of all, you couldn't be in the music world at that point in time without being aware of the Beatles. <<

Exactly my point. By writing that Clapton, in his John Mayall "blues purist" period, wasn't ignorant, I meant that it was probably his (EC's) decision to incorporate the "Day Tripper" riff into "What'd I Say." In interviews, Clapton has stated that he always liked the Beatles, even before he met them in December 1964. And "Blues Breakers" (1966) was recorded after the Beatles recorded "Day Tripper" (1965).

>> It's little shit like that, as much as your disdain for his use of the Strat, that starts all the little fires around here. <<

Hmmm. Having owned both guitars, I hear a tremendous difference between the two. I've expounded in detail, here in the Slowhand Digest, why I dislike the sound of the Fender Stratocaster. However, I think it's been at least 2-3 years since I've done that. Yes, I recently agreed with Jason Lynch, in some comments he made regarding the Strat vs. a Gibson. In the last 2-3 years, I think I've made a joking reference, maybe 2 times, to the Gibson vs. Fender debate.

DeltaNick