[Slowhand] Re: EC learning his chops

Shanahan mowdamowda at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 17:52:26 EDT 2006

Just to clarify, though I thought I made it clear.

I'm not suggesting Eric in The Yardbirds was the same as Eric with Mayall.

My response was to what Garret was suggesting regarding his guitar playing:

"it in no way stood out from anyone else really at that time."

I think it did, comparing what Eric did in '64 to what other guitarists did
in '64.

Yes, Jimmy Page played on 98% of all studio recordings from 1964, but if I
compare
the guitar on Baby Please Don't Go or You Really Got Me to Eric's 3 minutes
plus,
I see more than someone just playing a guitar part.

As for The Yardbirds' singles from 1964, they may not warrant constant
rotation on one's
playlist, but what Eric does in his limited spotlight, I think stands out
from what others
were doing in 1964.

Tone