[Slowhand] Re: EC learning his chops

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 22:11:06 EDT 2006

>> Just to clarify, though I thought I made it clear ... I'm not suggesting Eric in The Yardbirds was the same as Eric with Mayall ... My response was to what Garret was suggesting regarding his guitar playing: 'it in no way stood out from anyone else really at that time' ... I think it did, comparing what Eric did in '64 to what other guitarists did in '64 ... Yes, Jimmy Page played on 98% of all studio recordings from 1964, but if I compare the guitar on Baby Please Don't Go or You Really Got Me to Eric's 3 minutes plus, I see more than someone just playing a guitar part ... As for The Yardbirds' singles from 1964, they may not warrant constant rotation on one's playlist, but what Eric does in his limited spotlight, I think stands out from what others were doing in 1964. Tone<<

Tone, You thinketh too much but understandeth perfectly well. That's simply the way it was, a historical fact. Clapton, even while with the Yardbirds, was light years ahead of everyone else. He was on a totally different plane. Some couldn't fathom what he was doing. But the other guitarists knew only too well. What's unfortunate is that the younger generation think that what Clapton invented was either: A) always that way, -- or -- B) invented by Jimi Hendrix.

Clapton was THE innovator, in 1964 and 1965 and early 1966. Hendrix was a great guitarist, but he merely picked up, in late 1966, on what Clapton had already begun.

As Little Steven wrote, "Eric Clapton is the most important and influential guitar player that has ever lived, is still living or ever will live."

I'll add one word: "Period."

DeltaNick