[Slowhand] (no subject)

Garret74 at aol.com Garret74 at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 23:41:11 EDT 2006

Clapton, and all of us here. "Guitar hero" is a term I would associate =
with flashy, Spandex-wearing, heavy metal guitarists from the '70s and =
'80s. Clapton was NEVER one of those. And I don't think too many of us =
Slowhand Digest subscribers are keen on that type music either. Clapton =
is an artist, a blues guitarist, NOT a "guitar god" or "guitar hero."<<<<

Well, my point was that is the very thing Eric has seemed to rebel against.
When he came out of retirement and made 461, that was a new Clapton. And he
specifically made a point against the guitar hero and the guitar god hype
which had been thrust upon him.
(and I laugh picturing Clapton in Spandex....)

>>>Quite the contrary, it stood out from everyone else at the time . in =

spades. As Tone wrote earlier, compare Clapton's work on Yardbirds =
singles with everyone else at the time and before. There's simply no =
comparison.<<<

I don't think, and this is my opinion that his guitar playing at the time
was any more proficient than George Harrisons or Keith Richards. I think you
can see the potential in Eric with the Yardbirds, but the train hasn't arrived
yet.
There were plenty of American Guitarists at that time who were miles beyond
and above what was happening on the British scene.

>>>If you weren't around at the time, it's a bit difficult to understand. =

There are two great periods of electric guitar: BC and AC ... Before =
Clapton and After Clapton.<<<

Sometimes you are so right. Clapton is the most important guitar player
who's ever lived. He changed everything. But Buddy Guy was fooling around with
some of this at the time too.

=
you don't believe him, he, Pauly Walnuts, Christopher, and Tony will =
break your kneecaps, slice you up at Satriale's, and sell you as a =
hamburger at Silvio's Bada Bing club.<<<<

LOL......

I think you underrate Jimi Hendrix, though. He's pretty important as well.
(although I don't think he was as good a guitar player as Clapton. But I wonder
what could have been with Jimi...)...And Jeff Beck has probably been the
most adventurous guitarist of the group you cited.

Garret