[Slowhand] Re: Guitar Hero?

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 06:01:10 EDT 2006

>> I really think that Eric Clapton thinks of himself as a singer who plays guitar now Vs what we all expect which is a Guitar player who sings. Somewhere along the line this role changed because in the beginning I don't think he sang at all till one or two Creams tracks and then during Delany and Bonnie. That is the beginning of EC finding out he could sing. Mr. D. convinced him he had a good voice. <<

Clapton's first recorded vocals are with the Yardbirds. For example, he sang the duet lead on "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl." He also sang on other Yardbirds recordings, but not as the sole lead singer. Listen carefully to "Five Live Yardbirds" and the studio Yardbirds recordings, and you'll hear his unmistakable voice on some of the tracks.

And yes, I know that virtually everyone and the liner notes to "Beano" say that "Ramblin' On My Mind" is Clapton's first recorded vocal. But it's simply not true. It's Clapton's first recorded SOLO LEAD vocal.

DeltaNick