[Slowhand] Re: The Peak Periods

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Jul 18 22:22:06 EDT 2006

>> The BBC tapes by Mayall show a Clapton, that is nowhere near the genius heard on the Beano album. <<

"On 26 April the BBC session was definitely Eric on guitar although he wasn't too thrilled having play quietly to BBC standards and so he plays at minimum strength throughout" (John Mayall, private e-mail, 1 May 2001). The remainder of the Mayall BBC tracks with Eric Clapton were recorded under the same conditions.

>> By the farewell tour of Cream Clapton had lost his interest in Cream and some of the bootlegs are really shambles. <<

And some others are pretty damn good! I saw Cream on their farewell tour in NY, and they played very well, thank you.

>> Clapton has stated himself, that in every 4 shows they played one great show and 3 mediocre ones. <<

"Sex -- when it's good, it's very, very good. When it's bad, it's still all right -- and that's what listening to Eric Clapton is like" (Tom McGuinness as quoted in Music Raves Of Those Hippie Daze, http://www.sfheart.com/sixties/hippie_music.html, Copyright © 1997-2000 S.F. Heart).

>> The start of Blind Faith was very timid as you can see on the Blind Faith DVD. <<

Blind Faith's performance, 26 July 1969, at the Wisconsin State Fair Park, West Allis, Wisconsin was about as good as it gets.

>> The second peak period started as early as 1984, when he had gotten sober after 10 years of crazy drinking. Shows with Roger Waters and the Behind The Sun-tour saw a fresh Clapton, that had found his interest in guitar back. <<

Bad example: It was a very short period, and he went back to drinking again for the next 5 years. And I've heard several performances of the Roger Waters tour. In my opinion, the music is about as bad as it gets, sort of "glam rock," like David Bowie.

FF to 1989: Although "Journeyman" is a good album, I don't really recall there being much guitar playing on it worth talking about, except for "Old Love," which is a great song.

DeltaNick