[Slowhand] Re re: The Peak Periods

ollio ollio at mbnet.fi
Wed Jul 19 04:50:24 EDT 2006

Hi all,

** >> The second peak period started as early as 1984, when he had gotten sober after 10 years of crazy drinking. Shows with Roger Waters and the Behind The Sun-tour saw a fresh Clapton, that had found his interest in guitar back. <<

**Bad example: It was a very short period, and he went back to drinking again for the next 5 years. And I've heard several performances of the Roger Waters tour. In my opinion, the music is about as bad as it gets, sort of "glam rock," like David Bowie.**

As far as I know Clapton got sober permanently in November 1987 and his drinking habit had build up slowly back to it's former proportions in 1986-87.
I saw him play during his drunken periods in 1980 and 1981 and the man I saw play a Gibson Les Paul with Roger Waters on June 17th 1984 in Stockholm was a completely different one from the start of the 80's funny but sloppy one. Great, edgy and agressive but melodic solos flowed from his hands and the guitar sound was very beano.

""the music is about as bad as it gets, sort of "glam rock," like David Bowie""
Well, the first 70 minutes of the Roger Water's gig was classic Pink Floyd songs with Clapton's guitar, if that music is "as bad as it gets" then I'm sure we have very different musical tastes and I'm very happy with mine :)

Anyways, have a sweet summer

Olli