[Slowhand] Journeyman

ollio ollio at mbnet.fi
Thu Jul 20 03:52:23 EDT 2006

Hi all,

There's been messages about Journeyman and the lack of guitar on that album. Well, I think here's the dilemma we are talking about, when the disagreement rises with the beano "fans" and those, that like Clapton's solo years and the music he has produced on his albums. Journeyman is full of guitar and great songs IMO.
The song list of of Journeyman is as follows:
1. Pretending
2. Anything For Your Love
3. Bad Love
4. Running On Faith
5. Hard Times
6. Hound Dog
7. No Alibis
8. Run So Far
9. Old Love
10. Breaking Point
11. Lead Me On
12. Before You Accuse Me

and there's great and varied guitar work on all of the songs. I think, that this album has much more interesting guitarplaying and songs than Beano did, but that's just my personal opinion. Just the way I think Pink Floyd did marvellous music in the 60's and 70's and some might think that music is as bad as it gets.
It's great to have different opinions, but of course it's clear that we are talking in very different languages if people think, that Journeyman didn't have enough guitar on it. :)

I like good pop songs and I find blues-rock a formula, that is quite full of constraining cliches. Blues rock guitar solos are nowadays mainly a cliche IMHO and Clapton is one of the few, that can pull of solo in that formula, that would have any interest, I think.
One of the reasons I have followed Clapton's career for 40 years now is the way he is ready to go his own way and against the hopes of his fans. I think TDF and Pilgrim are one of the best works he has done and they succeeded because he wasn't trying to please anybody.

Cheers
Olli