[Slowhand] Re: Journeyman

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sun Jul 23 23:02:03 EDT 2006

>> I'd say every song except Run So Far and Lead Me On has a pretty excellent solo somewhere. The only caveat I'd throw is what I mentioned earlier about the production (Anything for Your Love, Breaking Point, and No Alibis) and the overly-liberal use of back-up singers over some of the really choice gitar bits (Breaking Point and No Alibis). Otherwise, the album is loaded with guitar. My personal favorites are Bad Love, Running on Faith, Hard Times, Old Love, and Before You Accuse Me. <<

Jason,

I understand and agree regarding your production complaints. The extremely style-conscious Eric Clapton is prone to fads. I prefer qualities that are more lasting, more eternal, and EC has those qualities. But it seems he prefers to downplay them, and at times to disown them.

I own this album and I like it, but none of those solos you mention ever struck me as anything more than adequate. Again, this is not an album on which EC showcases his guitar playing, in my opinion. What I consider to be mediocre or merely adequate by EC, may be considered excellent by others. I think that EC can do better, and that he has done better, in the guitar department, both before and after "Journeyman."

DeltaNick